BMWs are in a class of their own, and to keep your vehicle running smoothly, you must maintain it. A common issue we come across in certain BMW models is high pressure fuel pump failure. Let’s take a closer look at the causes and signs of this issue.
BMW Models Affected by High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure
High-pressure fuel pump failure is a serious issue that affects BMWs with the N54 engine. The models affected include:
- 2007-2010 335i models
- 2008-2010 135i models
- 2008-2010 535i models
- 2008-2010 X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
- 2009-2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i
The High Pressure Fuel Pump in BMW Engines
BMW models that have the N54 engine have a lot of power. To keep up with the fuel supply, the car utilizes a high-pressure fuel pump. The fuel pump sprays a precise amount of fuel into the engine. This creates the proper air-to-fuel ratio that the engine needs to run efficiently. Unfortunately, the high pressure fuel pumps are known to fail prematurely.
Symptoms of High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure in Your BMW
When the high pressure fuel pump fails the engine will not get the fuel it needs to run effectively. As a result of the failure, you may experience some of the following symptoms:
- Stalling: When the fuel pump begins to fail you may experience stalling at high temperatures. This is dangerous and can lead to an accident.
- Misfires and Sputtering: If your BMW is experiencing misfires, have it diagnosed right away. Misfires can cause permanent damage to the engine. If the misfires are happening while you are driving over 50 miles per hour, they could be caused by the fuel pump.
- Difficulty Starting: One of the most common symptoms of high pressure fuel pump failure is difficulty starting. This happens because the fuel is unable to reach the engine.
- Power Loss: If your BMW is not accelerating smoothly it can be due to a bad fuel pump. The symptom may occur during normal driving, traveling uphill, or hauling a heavy load.
- Poor Fuel Economy: When the high pressure fuel pump begins to fail it may cause your BMW to burn more fuel. You will notice that you are filling up the gas tank more often than usual.
- Running Rough: A failing fuel pump can make the engine stumble or hesitate during acceleration.
- Knocking Noises: Another common symptom is engine knocking noises. These noises often occur when temperatures are cool.
- Limp Mode is Activated: Limp mode is a safety feature that helps prevent engine damage. When your BMW recognizes there is an issue with the fuel pump, it can activate the feature to allow you to get to a safe place and call for a tow.
Preventing High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure
The high pressure fuel pump is known to fail on certain models but they are estimated to last for 10 years or 120,000 miles. To extend its life there are a few things you can do.
- Stay Current on Regular Oil Changes: Skipping oil changes can damage the fuel pump. The pump needs proper lubrication to run properly and prevent friction. A lack of lubrication will also cause excess heat.
- Do Not Run Your Fuel Tank Low: It is important you do not run your BMW with low fuel. When you do, the fuel pump is left exposed to extreme heat leading to damage. The weight of the fuel in the tank also helps move the fuel to the engine.
- Use High-quality Gas: Always run the best quality gas in your BMW. Do not buy off-brand gasoline.
Woodinville Sports Cars for your BMW
At Woodinville Sports Cars, we take pride in providing complete customer satisfaction. Our ASE certified technicians have years of experience and can diagnose and repair any issue you have quickly. Do not take your BMW to a dealership when we can perform the same tasks at an affordable cost to you. When you bring your car to us, you will save time and money.
We are Here for You
If you are experiencing high pressure fuel pump failure in your BMW, do not wait to have it fixed. A failed pump can lead to a fatal accident. If you are in the Bothell, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mill Creek, Redmond, Snohomish, or Woodinville, WA area call us today to book your appointment. At Woodinville Sports Cars, we are here to help you with all your BMW service needs.
* BMW Coupe E92 image credit goes to: kurmyshov.